2018 was a year of growth for me.
I made new long lasting friendships, finished my first year of college, lived in another country for six weeks, created my blog, had my first heartbreak, lost a family member, started my second year of college, got denied from several organizations that I had my heart set on getting into, felt lost and sad, got more involved in my major at school, surrounded myself with positivity and good people and found myself all over again.
I am not the same person I was at the beginning of 2018. Every single high point and low point I experienced this year has helped mold me into who I am right now. And because of that, I wouldn’t want to change anything that happened.
Here are some key takeaways that I learned or needed a reminder of this past year.
- As a 20 year-old who is trying to figure out life, sometimes you need to let go of someone you love in order to continue to grow and find who you are.
- Surround yourself with people that lift you up, not hold you back.
- Do not let fear ever keep you away from an experience that could change your life. This summer I went to Italy for six weeks all by myself and it was the best thing I could have done for myself. I was so scared, but I was more excited than anything. I now have friends all over the world and I got to immerse myself into another culture and experience a new way of life.
- Do not let rejection from an organization, club, job, etc. define you. Use it as a learning opportunity to see what you could have done differently. Let it fuel your passion for that next opportunity.
- Holding your emotions in doesn’t make you a strong person, but showing them does. If you keep everything inside you will break one day and it’s a lot harder to face every pent up emotion at once.
- You really learn who your true friends are when you are at your lowest point. Remember who is there for you and who isn’t.
- If you find yourself in a situation where you are not happy, then you need to remove yourself from it because life is way too short to be unhappy.
- Expect the unexpected. If you read my blog post from a few months ago then you know what I’m talking about. Life is never going to go exactly the way you expect it to.
- Stop holding onto what was. Let it go and relish in what is happening right now and in the future.
- A positive mindset is so important. It really makes living life a lot easier.
This year was a rollercoaster of a year for me mentally and emotionally, but now more than ever I truly believe that everything happens for a reason.
I have some big plans ahead and I am so excited to see what 2019 has in store for me. Here’s to new beginnings and the new year!